It has been a busy year and we have just entered the final quarter and spring has hit Tasmania, finally. I used to be great at reviewing where I was at, or at least sharing it with you. Although I seem to be constantly reviewing how my writing is progressing, I’m currently not so good at sharing.
September is usually the point where I start planning for the following year, buying my diary, setting up my spreadsheets, determining just how many books I think I can write…this year hasn’t quite gone to plan.
For my latest series I found the third book wasn’t quite as easy to write as I expected, and it stopped the progress of everything else. And it was only luck that I couldn’t get into my editor until later than I planned, that I was able to meet the deadline at all. So now that it is with the editor, and I have a little breathing room to start the next project, I have had the chance to start planning for 2020 and finally buy next year’s diary.
In fact, I have planned out the next couple of years. That is because it is time to start getting serious about this writing business. As well as planning out future projects, I have been considering planning and thinking time (I know you are all thinking about Iski right about now, but I will come back to him). At this stage, I have two new series planned – and they will be longer ones, although they aren’t as well planned as I had hoped. But I learnt with the last series that the story rarely goes to plan.
I have an idea of the characters and the world they live in. I kind of have the main conflict in mind, and how it ends. The rest I am going to see how it unwinds as I write. I recently heard this referred to as “writing into the dark” and I’m really very excited about it.
So how am I going so far this year?
Pretty well, actually.
This is what I have achieved:
- Published the final episode of The Raven Crown Series – The Raven’s Edge
- Published books 1 and 2 of The Magics of Rei-Een series – and book 3 is due for release on November 15 and on track.
- Started drafting the sequel to The Mark of Oldra – no idea at this stage what it will be called. And I have already booked the editor and cover.
- Planned out the key points for the new series. Toyed with some ideas for names and backgrounds.
What has fallen through the cracks:
So my plans for the rest of the year are:
- Finish and publish Book 3 of The Magics of Rei-Een
- The Mark of Oldra sequel – written and edited and ready for editor early next year
- Start drafting the new series – no names at all for this one and it is in my spreadsheets as “new series”
- Find Iski Flare and get to writing. Originally Iski was going to be finalised early this year and I’m not quite sure what happened, but it just didn’t happen. Episode 8 is more or less drafted, the covers are all booked. I just need to put some time aside and focus. At this stage he isn’t part of the plan for next year, as I would like to get him finished this year.
At the end of the year I will update you on how the year finished, and let you know what I’m planning for next year.
For my latest book, and future release dates, go to my book page.