I set myself some pretty hefty writing goals this year on top of everything else I’m trying to do, and a pretty busy day job.
Add to that the idea that my writing group is running a book fair for indie authors this year, with no real experience and no idea just how much work was going to be involved, including an interview on the radio!
I have been much better at reviewing where I’m at in previous years; the time got away from me this year, partly because I have been busy writing. After a bit of a panic recently about exactly how much I am trying to do, I realised that it was time to take stock.
For this first part of the year I had aimed to do the following:
- Draft all three books of my new series
- Get the next Iski Flare episode out to readers and ready for publication
- Keep in regular touch with my readers – via my newsletter and social media and even blog a little.
- Some planning for The Mark of Oldra sequel and the next series.
Not too much really.
The New Series:
I have been trying writing sprints, where I just write and don’t pay attention to the typos to get as many words on the page as I can. And this has worked reasonably well. My problem came when my characters decided that they weren’t going to go along with my plan. They appeared to have definite plans of their own and it made me very nervous.
I am not quite where I want to be but I have achieved the following:
- Books 1 and 2 fully drafted
- Books 1 and 2 read through and marked up for problems, inconsistencies, plot changes etc Book 1 I am actually very happy with, book 2 will need some work.
- Book 3 is moving slower and I only have 12, 000 words. Those words have helped fill in some plot holes and I now have a better idea of where it is going. I plan to continue to draft this one while I start on the editing of book 1 – it will be slower but I think it will help it become the strong finish the series needs.
Iski Flare Episode Eight kind of fell by the wayside. I have half of it drafted, and it is much stronger than my usual first draft. But it is a long way from being ready for readers. I want to spend some time this month and get things back on track. I want to finalise the Iski Flare series and get all books out this year.
No planning for The Mark of Oldra sequel other than a brief think about it. The new series has been the hardest as I had two ideas I was playing with and I wasn’t sure which I wanted to work on first. At the beginning of the year I had an idea for yet another series, and I think I want to tackle that first. I have made some very rough notes, some character sketches and considering a longer series (4 to 6 books). All just plans at this point. I won’t start anything concrete until the end of the year.
I have struggled with social media this year, working in fits and starts. Partly because I don’t want to get lost on Facebook when I could be writing. I created a plan, but I’m not really sticking with it. I am considering expanding what I do with Facebook, but I’m delaying ideas over writing at the moment. I’ll confirm when I can.
I am managing to continue to get my newsletter out to readers monthly. And try to include information on other writers as well.
My blogging has off as well, but I find sharing what I’m planning and how I am going meeting my writing targets helps me as much as it keeps you informed. If you want to hear about other aspects of my writing or have a question you would like answered, please contact me.
Where to next:
I have realised as I go this year that I can complete more than I had thought, but I need to put the time in and sometimes I’m not doing that. Partly due to other commitments, partly because I’ve run out of energy to get them done.
Amongst all of this writing I am also trying to fit in reading, learning and training courses around writing and marketing, and trying to look after myself. And of course my daughter, who entering her teenage years is more willing to leave me alone to write while she does teenager stuff.
There is a group of us working on the Bookfair which helps share the load, but it certainly has taken more time than I anticipated. I am gathering my promotional material together and have just submitted an order for books. I am learning a lot from this process, including what other indie authors in my local community are looking for. I think there will be a lot more come from this.
My writing plans for the next three months:
- Finish book 3 of new series
- Edit and revise book 1 of new series and get it to my editor
- Iski Flare Episode Eight – finalised and published
- Iski flare Episode Nine – would like to get it written and then published, but it may be that it just gets to readers.
- Planning for new works
- Regular Newsletters
- Regular updates on social media
Lots to do, but I’m loving it.